Hello everyone! I hope you all have had a lovely week. For this weeks post I thought I would share what I've learnt whilst being a University student in the hope that it helps those who are thinking of going and relates to those who attend already. I'm coming to the end of my education this year (and I'm starting a new semester tomorrow), so what better way to start by sharing my advice! Here goes....
- If I could give you any 'academic' advice, it's to read. You will be given a list of texts to read throughout your time at Uni. Now, for me, I didn't read half as much as I should. But, seriously, no matter how tedious, read as much as you can.
- If you're living away from home, make sure you keep in touch with your parents. You will miss them. But, don't tell them about all of your antics.
- For the love of god, budget your money and make it last as long as you can!
- It's important to make new friends and socialise with others, make as many friends as you can. It's scary moving in with complete strangers but once you get to know each other, you'll make friends for life.
- However, living with people who have different traits to you can be difficult. Learn to be lenient with them, whether they're messy and don't clean up after themselves, just try relax about it. However, if it gets intolerable, tell them!
- It's ok to go out and get absolutely hammered and not remember what you did the night before.
- It's also ok to stay in and have an early night. If you don't want to go out, you don't have to.
- There will be times when you do an all nighter in the library and take half of the confectionery aisle in with you.
- Please, don't leave your work to the last minute. This isn't like school or college, the sooner you start, the better.
- Prepare yourself for Freshers week. It will be the best and worst week of your life. And, make sure you take part every year.
- At some point, you will doubt yourself and whether you actually want to be at University. I went through that stage in my first year. Stick it out for as long as you can. If not, just remember that University isn't for everyone.
- If you find yourself struggling, talk to your tutors and ask them for advice, it's what they are there for.
- Don't shot vodka, trust me.
- Subscribe to Netflix, it will become your best friend.
- Caffiene will save you from the early morning starts, make sure you stock up.
- Your first year doesn't count towards your final degree. Don't slack off. Your first year is a good opportunity to show your tutors how dedicated you are to your degree.
- You will fall out and disagree with your flatmates. Argue and move on.
- It's ok to sit and eat a whole packet of Jammie Dodgers in one sitting, same with Pringles. and family size bags of crisps.
- You will learn more about yourself within the next three years than you ever have in your whole life.
- University will be the best time of your life, you make the best friends you'll ever have. It sets you up for your future and you will always wish to redo the 3 years again, even if it is so you can be a student again! If you stick it out and get that degree, fabulous. Don't wish the time away, you'll miss it before it's over.
Thank you for reading this post, I hope you enjoyed it. Let me know what you think and what you would like to see next.
Love, Melissa x